An IP address is a unique number assigned to your computer whenever you connect to the internet. It acts just like a regular address, giving your computer a place online where all data can be sent to and from.
Without an IP address you would be unable to surf the Internet or send and receive email. It would be a bit like trying to use your home phone without having a telephone number.
If you need to know your IP address, you can find out automatically by simply visiting ip-details.com. It’ll be displayed near the top of the screen where it says Your IP Address and you’ll find some other technical information just underneath.
Alternatively, you can find it manually. To do this:
1. Open any web browser (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, etc.)
2. Type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar and press Enter on your keyboard
3. When asked, enter admin into both the Username and Password fields
4. Select Summary
5. Click on the Green Button next to Internet
6. Your IP address will now be shown next to IP Adress (WAN) in the Internet Summary table
If the Green button isn’t available then it could mean your router has timed out. Try connecting to a new website using a new browser to see if this reconnects it. Alternatively, try resetting your router by switching it off using the power button or at the mains for 30 second before switching it back on before trying again.
Disclaimer: Please note one or more of the above links are to external web sites. TalkTalk cannot be held responsible for the information contained in these sites. Neither can we be held responsible for issues caused by the software available from these sites.