cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Landline not working after upgrading to full fibre

theblackcat
Participant
Private Message
Message 46 of 46

Hello, I was upgraded to fibre 150 with digital voice yesterday, but my Grandstream digital voice adapter won't register my phone.

I left the digital voice adapter connected to my eero 6 all night long, but the phone indicator still doesn't light up. The other two indicators do though.

I read through the forum yesterday, so I've already tried the following...

• Setting up the device exactly as shown in the guide.
  • Turning everything off for 30 minutes.
  • Resetting the digital voice adapter via the pinhole.
  • Plugging the digital voice adapter directly into the ONT for 10-15 minutes.

Any combination of the above doesn't solve the problem.

Yesterday if I reconnected my phone to the older master socket then I was still able to make calls, but today it's totally dead. And if I call my landline from my mobile it goes straight to voicemail.

0 Likes
45 REPLIES 45

Message 21 of 46

Hi again,

The team have now come back to me as they think this should now be resolved. They have asked if you can give it 1 hour and then reboot the DVA as this should then update the Digital Voice adapter with the correct settings. Please can you re-try this and let us know if you are then able to connect to VOIP please.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 22 of 46

Hi again,

I've been advised that an incident has been raised for this and is under investigation with our Network Team. Our Product Manager has advised that he will keep me updated on the progress and I will post back here with updates.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 23 of 46

Hi Modelman1,

I'm sorry to hear this. Our Product Team are currently looking at this now so I'm hoping to know more soon. I'll post back here as soon as I receive an update.

Thanks

Michelle

Modelman1
Participant
Private Message
Message 24 of 46

Hi, theblackcat. Thanks for guiding me to your thread. I'm following your posts with great interest as I'm having the exact same issues. I'm being sent another DVA courtesy of Chris, which hopefully arrives asap for more testing. I suspect my current DVA is incorrectly configured like yours, or possibly locked out. I'll conduct some tests over the weekend as you did. Hopefully the replacement unit functions correctly however I should be clued up enough by then if it doesn't. 

0 Likes

Message 25 of 46

Morning,

I've passed this over to our Devices Team and will post back as soon as I receive an update.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 26 of 46

We received a phone call earlier today to let us know that the issue has been escalated further.

However, tonight I found a post on Grandstreams website that mentioned using a Syslog utility from their support page to help troubleshoot issues. So I downloaded the application and followed the PDF that come with it to enable logging on my DVA. Then when I rebooted the device and eventually checked the log file I could see that it's failing to find any of the config files on your server.

So it seems like someone has changed a path or file name and that's broken things for anyone who's trying to use their DVA for the first time. Because without that file we don't receive the correct TalkTalk VoIP settings for our phones to register and function correctly.

The DVA will first look twice for unique config files (using a customers MAC address) and then twice more for generic config files that could apply to all customers.

There's now multiple people with this exact same issue and I suspect it'll only get worse until the config file is restored or you use TR-069 to set the correct settings.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Full-Fibre/How-soon-should-there-be-three-blue-lights-on-the-DVA...
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Full-Fibre/FF150-VOIP-Grandstream-ATA-not-registering/m-p/300076...
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Full-Fibre/Not-So-Grand-stream-Voice-Adapter/m-p/3001018
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Full-Fibre/phone-on-fiber/m-p/2999815
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Home-Phone/Landline-not-working-after-full-fibre-upgrade/td-p/29...

Message 27 of 46

Morning,

Thank you for the update and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 28 of 46

I spoke to someone from your network teams earlier today and they seem to think that this is a known issue that's impacting a number of customers? So for the time being all calls to my landline are being forwarded to a household members mobile.

Prior to call forwarding being temporarily enabled by your network team I did have the TalkTalk digital voice app setup and working from my mobile, but now everything seems to be going to the household members mobile and the digital voice app doesn't receive calls or 1471 updates. This is fine for the time being though, since the selected household member does keep their mobile on at all times.

I just hope that your network teams don't try to blame Openreach for this, because like I said in my previous post...

@theblackcat wrote:

If I access the DVA and go to the FXS port tab and change the DNS mode from A Record to SRV then my phone does register, but because most of the other settings are wrong I can't make or receive calls.

And the TalkTalk digital voice app was working too, which kind of proves that the fault is with your config server or the DVA that I received. So if your network teams don't resolve this issue in a few days maybe it'd be worth deactivating call forwarding, making sure that VoIP is re-enabled for everything and then sending me a replacement DVA?

I'll check back for updates and post again if I hear anything more from your network teams.

0 Likes

Message 29 of 46

Hi

It is our network teams who will call, and I've made then aware of all that has been tried so far.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 30 of 46

That wouldn't be with regards to the online chat I had, would it? Since they didn't understand the issue and were trying to instruct me to reset my eero 6, even though I've tried that before and I've also tried connecting the DVA to other routers that I own. And as you're aware, the recommended way to get the DVA working is to connect it to the ONT and then perform a reset, which cuts out the router altogether anyway.

If they call my landline then that won't work and if they call my mobile I might not receive the call, since I'm not at home now and my signal is spotty.

Ideally the network team needs to be made aware of the last post I made, since it shows the error and probable causes.

0 Likes

Message 31 of 46

Hi @theblackcat 

Our network teams have a callback scheduled for you, between 12-2pm today.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 46

No Problem. I'll let you know as soon as I get a reply.

Karl 

Working From Home Tips

Message 33 of 46

Thanks Karl.

I'm going to be heading out for a few hours, so I'll reset my DVA and connect it directly to the ONT.

If someone from your network team can figure out my public IP address while I'm away until 5pm today then they should be able to log into the DVA via it's web interface and fix this. Assuming that's required and this isn't just a configuration issue on your end.

0 Likes

Message 34 of 46

Hi

I'll chase this with our network teams this morning for you

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 35 of 46

dva.png

I've tried all weekend to get this to work, but as I haven't been able to get the digital voice adapter to download the config file I contacted Grandstream again and they told me how this should work.

Apparently when you power on the ATA (aka DVA) it connects to your server to get any new firmware and config files. Then the device is reloaded with the new TalkTalk settings, which is how the device ends up being locked down (no web interface, SSH or dialer config options). But for me provisioning always fails with "Unable to download xml config data", so my device isn't locked down and because most of the default settings are wrong the device fails to connect to the SIP server.

Because TalkTalk are using a customised firmware Grandstream can only theorise, but they've told me that if it's not a DNS issue then there's a few possibilities.

1. Your servers rejecting the username or password from my device.
  2. Your servers rejecting my digital voice adapters MAC address for some reason.
  3. Your servers missing a config file for my digital voice adapter (config file names contain MAC addresses).
  4. The device wasn't configured correctly before it was sent to me.

If I access the DVA and go to the FXS port tab and change the DNS mode from A Record to SRV then my phone does register, but because most of the other settings are wrong I can't make or receive calls. So if necessary, I could reset the digital voice adapter and then leave it connected directly to the ONT for a few hours today? That way someone from the (network?) team could connect to it via the web interface, see what I'm seeing and then make any necessary changes to get this working correctly.

I've added my digital voice adapters MAC address and serial number to my private notes, should your network team want to investigate further.

You might also see a fault ticket created by the online chat, but I don't expect anything to come from that one since they were clearly following a script and they didn't seem to understand how this works.

0 Likes

Message 36 of 46

Hi

I've asked our network teams to have a look at this for you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Message 37 of 46

Hi Karl, thanks again for the reply.

I left the digital voice adapter connected to the ONT all night long, but the phone indicator still wasn't lit up. So I read your reply and then powered everything off, powered on the ONT, powered on the digital voice adapter, reset the digital voice adapter and then waited 10 minutes. Unfortunately it's still not authenticating though.

According to Grandstream when the port status is displayed as "Not Registered" and provision says "Not running, Last status : Unable to download xml config data." then the issue is likely DNS related as it's failing to connect to both the SIP outbound proxy server and the config server. So it'd seem like something isn't configured correctly on your end or I was sent a misconfigured device?

0 Likes

Message 38 of 46

Hi @theblackcat 

All  errors have cleared here, can you try this again now please.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 39 of 46

@mahmed920552, better to follow up on your own thread (same subject heading!), which is here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Home-Phone/Landline-not-working-after-full-fibre-upgrade/td-p/29...

The OP on this thread is still seeking a resolution, so it's best not to confuse replies etc.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

mahmed920552
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 40 of 46

0 Likes