cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

WiFi disconnection & WiFi Optimisation

DanMay94
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 30 of 30

Hi all,

Hoping somebody can help.

Over the last few weeks I have been having issues with devices on the network not getting an internet connection. Devices - mostly been using my iPhone to troubleshoot - will remain connected to the WiFi, however they will not have a connection. Simply toggling the WiFi on and off on the device quickly fixes the issue. I have tried resetting the router, and this only works temporarily.

I have tried manually setting a channel for the 2.4 and 5ghz networks, and this can fix the drops out for a day or two - however at random the router selects a different channel and the issues persist again.

I have seen there are a lot of posts on this forum about WiFi optimisation on the router and this being the issue. Is anybody out there able to confirm that this is the issue and if it is something talktalk acknowledge with the router?

If this is the case - can somebody from talk talk disable this setting on my router? As I say - I can pick my own channel and everything seems to work fine - but as there is no user setting to turn WiFi optimisation off the router just has a mind of its own.

I will stress that I do not want to factory reset the the router - despite me thinking this won’t make a difference, I have had previous issues with getting my Xbox to stay on an open NAT, and after much work I have finally got this sorted.

Cheers guys!

Dan

0 Likes
29 REPLIES 29

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 30

We can always check out your WiFi reception generally.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 30

Just another thought, could you confirm the makes and models of the apple devices that you're using please and also what version of software is on them too?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 3 of 30

Thanks Dan and please let us know how you get on.

Michelle

0 Likes

DanMay94
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 30

Hi All, 

Thank you for your continued help. @KeithFrench Do you have anything you can point to that would indicate this is an IOS issue and not an issue with the talk talk router? Reason I ask is I haven’t had this issue with my phone on my work WiFi which I use around 8 hours every day. If it is an IOS issue however, I guess that would explain why disabling WiFi optimisation fixed the connection issue for my other devices but not my iPhone. 

@Michelle-TalkTalk I will try a 30 minute power down today and see how it goes. I will report back!

Many thanks,

Dan

0 Likes

Message 5 of 30

@DanMay94  Just noticed a similar topic that my colleague has been responding to this morning where a 30 minute router power down seems to have resolved the issue. Have you recently tried this too?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 6 of 30

Thanks @KeithFrench 

@DanMay94  Have you noticed if this started happening after a software/IOS updates on your apple devices? Do your apple devices currently have the latest updates?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 30

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk 

Yes, I have seen this before, it seems to be an Apple issue where the iPhone or whatever shuts down the WiFi connection to conserve battery usage, but is unable to recover correctly from this for some reason.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 30

Hi Dan,

As far as I'm aware this is not a known issue specifically with apple devices. @KeithFrench  have you come across this before? 

Have we ever sent you a replacement router for testing?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

DanMay94
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 30

Hi Michelle,

It happens on both 2.4 and 5… I can’t seem to make rhyme or reason of it! As I say, there are several posts on this forum complaining of the same thing - so I’m not alone! Before my WiFi optimisation was disabled it was happening much more regularly however, and my TV which used to lose connection is now fine - it just seems to be mine and my partners iPhones that seem to disconnect, although as I say now less frequently than before…

Dan

0 Likes

Message 10 of 30

Hi Dan,

No not specifically. Are your apple devices connected to the 2ghz or 5ghz channel when this happens please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

DanMay94
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 30

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for this - although end of the year is still a fair way off! Does talk talk acknowledge that this disconnection issue I’m having, seemingly only with Apple devices for now, is indeed an issue with the router itself. If not, is there anything else your technical team can suggest me trying? 

Dan

0 Likes

Message 12 of 30

Hi Dan

Our Devices Team have advised that the new firmware rollout is expected at the end of the year.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 30

Hi Dan

Thanks for your reply.

There is a new firmware version for the Sagemcom wifi hub coming soon. Let me check with our Devices Team to see if I can get a date for when this will be rolled out.

0 Likes

DanMay94
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 30

Hi Michelle,

Things are generally improved with most devices like my TV now staying connected, however I still am getting the odd disconnection - but it only seems to happen on iPhones. In the last 2 weeks I would say I have had the ‘no internet connection’ error on my iPhone 3-4 times, which again, is quickly remedied by toggling the WiFi on and off again on the phone however it is frustrating. I have had a look on the forums and I can see others seem to also have this issue, especially with Apple devices it seems? Is this something you guys are aware of? Is there a firmware update for the router as of yet? 

Many thanks,

Dan

0 Likes

Message 15 of 30

Morning Dan,

Just checking back in to see how you're getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 16 of 30
0 Likes

DanMay94
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 30

Hi Debbie,

Yes James has been in touch and has been very helpful and understanding, as have you. I think we’re on the way to a solution. Thank you very much for your help, and I will be back in touch if I have any further issues in the future.

Thanks again!

Dan

0 Likes

Message 18 of 30

Hi @DanMay94 

How are you getting on? Have you spoken to James again?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 30

Hi @DanMay94 

The team (James) is calling you this morning.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 30

Hi Dan

I thought this would be the case. Let me speak to the team again now.

Thanks

0 Likes