cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

'DNS name resolution failure' Reports in router

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 45 of 45

My Router has reported the following, as errors, today,

14.04.2024 13:39:33 Error DNS DNS name resolution failure (revboostprocdnadsprod.azureedge.net)

14.04.2024 14:44:59 Error DNS DNS name resolution failure(revboostprocdnadsprod.azureedge.net)

Within those 2 times, there are 68 other reports of the same error.

Now this, will fill my router log file in no time.

I dealt with this topic on 20-06-2023 11:57 PM, in

ROUTER 5464 - 'DNS name resolution failure' error

There was no outcome or resolution.

@KeithFrench suggested that this issue should be given the classification of 'Info' rather the 'Error' within the router software.

I suggested that, that would not solve much, as users still want view all other 'Info', and 'Info' is the least serious of all reports.

So, I make a new suggestion, that, as this issue has no relevance and does not cause any harm, the Devices Team remove this issue completely.

How about that?

0 Likes
44 REPLIES 44

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 41 of 45

@KeithFrench 

Very good, that we agree on what you meant.

I thought you might have meant to have a checkbox, that allowed all 'Info' entries or disallowed all 'Info' entries.

Well, 'having the DNS entries could be a lifesaver', that hasn't been the case for me.

I looked at all these entries in the past, and none of them had any connection with me.

And as it has proven, they have not had any effect. TalkTalk is not bothered with them. And others have not reported any drastic consequences. Therefore, DNS is doing its job.

But, yes they are a nuisance in the router log.

My suggestion, that TalkTalk completely remove reporting of these events, would suit me fine.

Bill

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 42 of 45

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. I have never seen a router log failed DNS requests before, it certainly is valid, but does in my opinion require user choice if they want to see them or not. So much depends on the fault condition that you are trying to troubleshoot. If you can't access some website, unless you have some of the diagnostic software that I use, having the DNS entries could be a lifesaver.,

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 43 of 45

Hi @KeithFrench 

Did you mean then that it be reclassified as 'Info', and that there be a checkbox, selecting between

1. include all 'Info',  including 'DNS name resolution failure'

and

2. include all 'Info', except 'DNS name resolution failure'

?

If that's what you meant, then that would work.

My suggestion would also work.

Bill

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 44 of 45

Hi @Billx 

Not only did I say that the bug was over the message classification being wrongly set as Error, not Informational, as it should be for these DNS messages, I did also suggest to TalkTalk that a checkbox or similar should be there to enable users to display these messages or not. There is new firmware due out at some point a bit later this year, I have no idea what fixes/changes will be included in it, at the moment.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes